Recommended Tools for 15 Measurements in Solar Installation and Maintenance
Engineered to last, photovoltaic systems are designed to be sustainable yet efficient. Regular inspections of photovoltaic systems and solar panels ensure they perform effectively, create the most clean energy possible, and prevent unnecessary and costly problems in the future. Here are our measuring instrument recommendations for solar installation and maintenance processes.
- 1. Temperature measurement
- 2. OCV measurement
- 3. PV Insulation measurement
- 4. Bypass diode inspection
- 5. String Current measurement
- 6. Inverter efficiency measurement
- 7. Power quality measurement
- 8. Power generation measurement
- 9. Battery deterioration inspection
- 10. Voltage measurement
- 11. Insulation measurement
- 12. Phase inspection
- 13. Voltage detection
- 14. High voltage insulation measurement
- 15. Earth/Ground measurement
- Maximizing data management and efficiency
Recommended solar installation and maintenance equipment by HIOKI
1. Temperature measurement
With a two-beam laser marker, pinpoint the spot where you want to measure the surface temperature in a non-contact way.
- *For industrial use only. Cannot measure body temperature. The laser marker beams are very dangerous if it gets into your eyes.
2. 5. 10. Voltage and current measurement
- DIGITAL MULTIMETER DT4261
Check both AC and DC voltages, or ghost voltage. The terminal shutters on the instrument prevent errors in inserting a test lead for conducting measurements.
- AC/DC CLAMP METER CM4375-50
Measure the AC/DC load, string current, voltage, continuity, and DC power. A uniquely designed slim jaw lets you easily get into the narrow gaps between cables in crowded electrical distribution boxes.
Both of these products can perform a simple harmonic analysis (*1) and display the measurement waveform (*1), making them ideal for PV system installation and troubleshooting.
- *1:With the GENNECT Cross App
- DC HIGH VOLTAGE PROBE P2000
Combine these tools with the P2000 to measure CAT III 2000 V
Safe Measurement of 1500 V DC in Photovoltaic System
String circuit current test (short circuit or operational)
3. 11. Insulation measurement
In addition to a normal insulation resistance measurement mode, the PV insulation resistance function lets you measure PV’s insulation during the day safely without short-circuiting.
14. For high-voltage insulation tesing: HIGH VOLTAGE INSULATION TESTER IR3455
Insulation Resistance Measurement for the Safety of Solar PV Systems
4. Bypass-diode inspection
Inspect bypass diodes for open and short-circuit faults even in broad daylight without covering panels. Open-circuit voltage, short-circuit current, and bypass route resistance can also be measured.
6. 7. 8. Inverter efficiency, power quality and power generation measurement
With the fourth voltage channel isolated from the first three voltage channels, the instrument can measure power and efficiency across two separate circuits.
The IEC 61000-4-30 Ed.3 Class A compliant meter lets you measure power quality and conduct power generation measurement at a high level of accuracy.
6. For precise and higher voltage of inverter efficiency tesing: POWER ANALYZER PW3390
8. Non-metallic contact power gereration measurement: CLAMP ON POWER LOGGER PW3365
9. Battery deterioration inspection
Measure the internal resistance, voltage, and surrounding temperature simultaneously. With the audio guidance (*1) announcing the next battery number to be measured and the measurement result, you can streamline your battery measurement process.
- *1:With the GENNECT Cross App
12. Phase inspection
Detect phase sequence and measure three-phase voltage simultaneously by simply clipping the device into covered cables, ensuring that no metal components are in touch for optimal safety.
13. AC Voltage detection
A non-metallic contact voltage detector with a bright LED light that increases safety and productivity even in low-light situations. It beeps and the LED turns red when AC voltage is detected.
15. Earth・Ground measurement
IP67 dustproof and waterproof two-pole or three-pole ground resistance tester; easier earthing rod insertion; and an innovative cable winder that significantly reduces the time required to complete earth resistance tests.
Boost your measurement efficiency and data management.
The GENNECT service line allows you to improve your measuring instruments and digitize your measurement data.
At Hioki, we provide solutions to enhance the efficiency, ease, and precision of the solar installation and maintenance processes.